Pages

Saturday, October 16, 2010

20km Run

Run Time: 1:59:46
Stopped Time: 3:23
Distance: 20.20 km
Average: 5:56 /km
Fastest Pace: 4:39 /km
Climb: 237 meters
Calories: 1669
Max HR: 168 (89%)
Avg HR: 150 (79%)


http://j.mp/bXMhVN

Oh the pain. Long time since I have done any distance and this absolutely killed me. Was down to 7 minute per km buy the end and shuffled through some very, very heavy legs. Started with quite a tight left hamstring. Got a blister on the side of my right foot around 8km which was reasonably painful. Just glad I got the work over and done with. No nutrition during run which I feel makes a difference. Not sure if training without food helps or hinders.

Recovery: Trying out contrast baths - 5min in cold water, 5 min in hot shower X 3. Lots of carbs.

2 comments:

  1. Wow doing a 20km run is an amazing effort- its essentially a half marathon! It takes me around 2 hours to do 10km so your doing pretty awesome to do it in the time you did!

    Just curious how did you find with the contrast baths? I'm doing skins + epsom salt baths at the moment (with a little bit of effect on the DOMS and heavy legs and arms) but I'm trying to find something more effective.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Gill,

    Sorry I took so long - I didn't know I had a comment!

    I found the contrast bath/shower to be really effective. After any lactic type of work I'll jump into the cold water for about 15mins. I think you need to reduce the inflammation with cold as soon as possible afterwards. I've only ever done the legs do - I couldnt do full immersion.

    If I was more committed I'd do the cold baths every two hours for the rest of the day but its just too hard to get back in once you've cooled down.

    ReplyDelete