Pages

Monday, September 10, 2012

Injury Update: Part Two

A visit to Damien to update myself on the injury situation. The fact that I still have some pain around means I'll need to stay off it for at least another three, if not four (probably four) weeks. Have been going back and forth whether to get an MRI which is expensive and at this stage may or may not show anything. Might go to the GP and get a referral for a CT scan which I can get done on medicare apparently.

Anyway, looking at at least two months from today before back at any volume, and that's at an absolute minimum.

On a positive note, I don't have tuberculosis as confirmed by the chest clinic.

So basically the plan is: build some decent strength, keep the endurance up with cycling, ramp up the running until I get back to the volume I want then hit November, December, January, February with solid base work, hopefully a couple of races in there with SMC and some track races, 1500m, 3000m, 5000m. Then start the pfitzinger plan 18 weeks out from Gold Coast which will encompass Canberra mid-April. The idea being that over summer I will get at least 8-12 Long runs of 30+km, and have 12 weeks over 100km.

Base training will look like this: (once I've built up to it)
DAY
SESSION
KM’s
Mon
1hr run (12km), EASY
12
Tue
1hr 30m STEADY
18
Wed
Light fartlek 1 hour incl 6-10 short sprints
14
Thu
1 hr 30m STEADY
18
Fri
1 hour EASY
12
Sat
1 hour ¾ effort marathon pace
15
Sun
2 hr 30m
30

Km's aren't going to be like that at first, but general structure will be the same - pretty much straight out of the Lydiard book.

Sounds great in theory, but so far the wheels have fallen off every time I've gotten near that mark. I do think that that is because I've hit the volume and intensity buttons at the same time - something I need to be very wary of.

And this is how I am going to approach strength work from now on: http://hitsystem.com.au/2009/10/06/incorporating-alactic-strength-training-into-a-middle-distance-training-programme/


No comments:

Post a Comment