Pages

Thursday, December 8, 2011

Frustration


I've done virtually no exercise since injuring myself which has been really frustrating and disappointing. When I first hurt my shin I was on a clinical placement at Liverpool Hospital for two weeks and was unable to get decent rest so was in quite a bit of pain at the end of each day (i.e limping) so didn't feel inclined to do anything much at the end of the day. Towards the end of the second week I picked up a cold which put me out of action for at least the next week. So that, and exams, took me three weeks into November. I did manage two 10k rides that week - one in rain and one in 35 + degree heat. At the end of that week I moved house which took time and sapped motivation. In the week before travelling over here to Korea I managed one 12k ride which was hot and I felt very unfit doing.

At the end of November I flew out to Korea where I have somehow manged to pick up that same cold bug about a week ago. The symptoms have been exactly the same, beginning with a sore throat and ending up with mucosy lungs and again hardly any energy.

Korea is full of mountains, and hiking is a very popular pastime and can be done virtually anywhere. Every day I see older Koreans around in their hiking gear. Everyday I look out and think about how good it would be to get out and run/hike around. There's a gym here which is $35 a month, mostly machines with the stationary bike and a few dumbells which I need to get into to start getting some fitness back.

My nutrition is atrocious to say the least and I have managed to put a few kilos and am looking and feeling pretty crap. Ah well - will pull it back together soon I hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment